Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Curry Leaves

Wikipedia says that it is also popularly known as Sweet Neem Leaves or Helichrysum italicum.

I love the leaves fried, popularly used in adding that dash of aroma to dishes such as spicy or butter prawns in Malaysia. Each crunch finds a release of the wonderful aroma in one's mouth, and marry that with the rice ... yumm... it really makes every mouthful a real treat indeed.

However, I am warned that commercially grown curry leaves are rather lethal in that they are sprayed with loads of insecticides due to the nature of the curry leaves plant being easily attacked by bugs, ants and what have you's.

So do wash the ones bought from the market properly. Most homes in Malaysia will have a plant or two, especially when curry is such a staple to us all!

What I have been told about the curry leaves which I find most interesting, is it's apparently curative nature for diabetic wounds. It is claimed that a healthy bunch of the leaves, perhaps as much as one can hold on one hand, when boiled in a medium sized kettle or pot of plain water, and taken daily will help a person with difficult-to-heal diabetic wounds to heal. I have not seen this at work with my own eyes, but some folks i know swear by it. Apparently, taking the water helps the wound to dry up and heal, instead of the open sores and such progressing further.

The boiled water is simply taken as drinking water. Of course I think it would be best to make new batch daily. My apologies for the lack of measurement as to how much of the leaves and water, but it seems there is really no real harm to take this as long as it is required, for the wounds to heal. Having said that, the leaves do have laxative effect too.

As with anything, I always believe in having the wisdom of moderation, when in doubt.

There are many more interesting properties of the curry leaves. As one of the links below has suggested, taking 10 fresh mature curry leaves a day for 3 months will help to prevent hereditary diabetes from manifesting. Some curry leaves daily is claimed to help keep the grey hair at bay and many more...

I shall not duplicate the information when you can glean them from the links posted below. I did find out that information about the humble curry leaves out there is endless. Another of nature's wonder packed into such a tiny packaging.

Interesting facts:

Buzzle.com explains that, the curry leaf contains : 2.6% oil, beta-caryophyllene, beta-gurjenene, beta-elemene, beta-phellandrene, beta-thujene, alpha-selinene, beta-bisabolene, beta-transocimene and beta-cadinene.

Seems like a lot of goodness in such small leaves.

Storage:

The best way to keep store-bought leaves longer is to ensure the leaves are washed and dried properly before laying the leaves onto kitchen papertowels and stored in an opened container in the fridge. It can be frozen too but usually, frozen leaves appears transparent and brittle. So i prefer to have it in the fridge instead, where the leaves will be further dried and able to be kept longer.


7 comments:

CheeWai said...

Luckily, we have 2,3 curry leaves plants in the garden and we do not rely on those from market. They seem difficult to plant/grow, but they are actually not. Quite hardy and grows well.

I am also trying to maintain a herb patch, with lots of basil, mint, laksa leaves, bunga kantan, etc etc. If anyone has any experience in growing such herbs, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am hooked to the feeling of plucking fresh herbs for our cooking, esp during those lazy weekends.

wai said...

Thanks for sharing Chee Wai! From my experience, curry leaves need fertilisers sparingly. Generous sunlight and moisture is required once passed the seedling stages, especially in the it's first 3 years of growth. I used the naturally processed goat's manure as it seemed best and most gentle for most plants. I made the mistake of using small pots before. It needs larger pot space for smaller/finer roots to develop. If u plant them in the ground then u will hv no issues i guessed. As curry leaves has a knack of attracting parasites such as aphids. I heard homemade organic enzymes are great to deter parasites in diluted portion. I will find post about making home made enzymes soon.

Apparently in India, it is popular to use neem oil to rid plants of parasites. Good idea too, to plant a neem tree for it antimicrobial properties and many more.

info for u -http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week129.shtml

cheers!

wai said...

oh yeah...to really get the full aroma of the curry leaves in our cooking, tear them (as opposed to cutting with knives) before frying or cooking. :)

CheeWai said...

Tks for the tips.

After those just-about-to-grow lemongrass died after I came back from the long CNY holidays recently, I have just planted this time, TWO bunched of lemongrass of a few stalks each bunch. Hope they will grow well this time as they are also known to be hardy and easy to grow.

In 2-3 days time, I will also be planting the daun kesum or laksa leaves which are now rooting in a pot of water in the kitchen. The roots grows within 24 hours!! Amazing. So, with the ginger already growing in the patch, and with more addition here, I will soon be having a well-stocked herb patch that I can make use of.

Next round, it's gonna be cili padi, mint leaves, parseley and basil. :-)

afoomi said...

my curry leaves was attacked by aphids, do you know what kind of insecticide should I buy to kill them? :(

Wai said...

Hi Afoomi, i also noticed curry leaves attract aphids very easily. I also noticed that with good sun and a good hose down or exposure to rain often will help to rid these pests...

Try getting this commercial solution from your local store. Insect & Mite killer from Yates (it is made of Natrasoap and biodegradeable all very natural stuffs).

I have also tried spraying with solution made of natural biodegradeable cleaning solution, water and a few drops of essential oils of thyme, oregano and basil.

Cheers!

SutharyA Health Cares said...

Hi Mr. Wai.......

Good Day...

I read some of your blogs.... Its really amazing... Thanks for the informations... to sharing....

I also like the fish feeding gadget - can you give me the link of that gadget... I want to download it and put the same to my blog also.

Thanks & Regards,
A K Nair
SutharyA Group